Implode Hilton, Rebuild Hilton THEN Sell Hilton

Afra Raymond, Citizen Advocate

The following article by Afra Raymond about state owned hotels is timely because of the government of Barbados decision to dump the Barbados Hilton for USD80 millions -it is being whispered. The point Afra raises about the need for disclosure of the agreements between government and the hotel management company in the public interest fuels BU’s concern about the cloak of secrecy by the government of Barbados to dump a prized possession for 30 pieces of silver. It seems like the other day the government of the day sold the national bank to fund the implosion and rebuilding of the historic building at Needam’s Point.

Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive! (Sir Walter Scott, 1808)

David –Blogmaster

At the end of January 2018, the Ministry of Trade & Industry and its implementing agency, Evolving Technologies & Enterprise Development Company (ETECK), announced the completion of a $7.6M project for the renewal of the Trinidad Hilton Pool. According to the official statements, that project was completed on time and within budget, as part of […]

Read more of this post

• ROI is usually expressed as a percentage and is typically used for personal financial decisions, to compare a company’s profitability or to compare the efficiency of different investments. The return on investment formula is: ROI = (Net Profit / Cost of Investment) x 100.

• Bernard Codrington February 21, 2018 at 11:32 AM #

I do not want to re-invent the wheel. As I have pointed out, the conventions are that maths are linear, once discovered it remains the same; in science this is not the case. Science is always regarded as the state of knowledge, until another experiment comes along to overthrow it (Copernicus, Galileo, Isaac Newton, Einstein, t al) Scientists once taught the earth was flat.
    I suggest you read Thomas Kuhn’s The Structure of Scientific Revolution, and Karl Popper’s Conjectures and Refutations for analyses of paradigm shifts in science.
    We have had a number of great scientific discoveries (penicillin, saccharin, Teflon, etc) which came about through unexpected discoveries; in mathematics you cannot do that; calculations do not come about by chance.
    You talk about physics and chemistry, the natural sciences, that is why I say economics is not a science, even if mathematicians have tried since the 1930s to turn it in to one.
    The outcome, as you well now, is that so-called econometrics have gone on its jolly way totally oblivious to what is happening in real economies – giving rise to the birth of applied economics. There is no way of scientifically testing economic ideas as if in a laboratory (remember the 364 economists who in 1981 wrote a letter to the Times challenging Margaret Thatcher’s Budget? You would not get that with physicists or nuclear scientists). Pick any debate you like: monetarists versus neoKeynesians, for example, where is the ‘science’ in the arguments?
    I hope we are not going to repeat those debates held by much sharper minds than yours and mine.

• Bernard Codrington

Georgie at 12 : 10 PM

Good. Mission accomplished.

• Georgie Porgie February 21, 2018 at 12:21 PM #

I really appreciate your advice, but I try to look beyond BU to the wider Bajan public. I am also a born contrarian and dislike the mob. I am not an organisation man. But thanks, again.

• @Frustrated Businessman: Animal Farm sequel playing out in Bim. February 20, 2018 at 11:12 AM “DLP gov’t graft is widely discussed in local and foreign business circles with supporting whattsapp and e-mail messages circulated among colleagues.”

You mean that the political class is so brazen as to solicit graft in writing?

• @Georgie Porgie February 21, 2018 at 1:08 PM “HOW MANY HERE HAVE CHANGED ANYTHING IN BARBADOS OR ANYWHERE ELSE?.”

Matthew 6:4 “But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their reward.”

They were not run off. They chose to leave. Soft men.

• Georgie Porgie February 21, 2018 at 1:08 PM #

Again wise words, which are very much appreciated.
    I am not here looking for validation of any kind, or a job with any organisation, so the loud mouths and those who have never had to work in the real world pick a fight with the wrong guy.
    Like you, I am a Bajan, and I have had the rum shop experience. I have had an enjoyable working life in my chosen trade, and was head hunted for many of my positions, so somebody needed me. So, it is water off a duck’s back.

• Bernard Codrington

Dr. Simple Simon at 1 :24 PM

Are you sure you are not a real Ph D? If it were in my power ,I would give you a DD. Your quotation is very apt….. even if applies to me. LOL.

• RE @Georgie Porgie February 21, 2018 at 1:08 PM “WE HAD TWO GREAT BIBLE EXPOSITORS HERE WHO WERE RUN OFF.”

They were not run off. They chose to leave. Soft men.

IF YOU RUN OFF YOU ARE SOFT? I DOUBT IT! THEY PROBABLY HAVE SOMETHING BETTER TO DO WITH THEIR TIME………UNLIKE ME.

WHAT IS THE POINT OF YOUR QUOTATION FROM MATHEW?
    HOW ARE YOU ABLE TO MISQUOTE THE SCRIPTURE AND I AM NOT ABLE TO QUOTE IT?

SURELY THAT IS NOT WHAT THE LORD CALLED RIGHTEOUS JUDGEMENT IN JOHN 7

Hal Austin February 21, 2018 at 1:28 PM #

I DO UNDERSTAND YOU…………DO LIKE JOHN …….SAY WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY AND RUN THEM RAGGED!

REMEMBER THAT THEIR AD HOMINEMS ARE THE ZENITH OF THEIR ABILITY! THAT IS WHAT I HAVE COME TO REALIZE

Hospice and Palliative Care Volunteer
    Covenant Care is seeking volunteers to provide companionship, emotional support and practical help for hospice and palliative care patients and family members who reside at home, in skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities and hospice inpatient care centers.

Volunteers are also needed to provide bereavement support for family members following the death of a loved one. Our volunteer schedules are flexible and you may choose to volunteer during week days, at night or on the weekend. As our volunteer your time requirement is based on patient/family need and your availability. This may range from two to eight hours a month. Your experience in MEDICINE and HEALTHCARE, as a PHYSICIAN, nurse, social worker, counselor, or CHAPLAIN will be invaluable to our organization.

Volunteer screening and training are required. If you are looking for opportunities in end-of-life care we hope that you will join the Covenant volunteer team!

• Hal I know a guy who sold a 100 unit building for a dollar and the reason was simple, he had written off the property against taxes for so many years that there was no value there

• lawson February 21, 2018 at 6:44 PM #

Absolutely. Valuation is like the curate’s egg. Some time ago an Eastern European woman bought a house in what we call Millionaire’s Row; I think the asking price was £7m, but, she claimed, she liked it so much she offered a couple million over the asking price.
    We also have a foreign owner of a football club who rumour has it would go in to the dressing room after every victory and give the players a bonus of £50000 – these were players many of whom were earning a six-figure sum every week. He did so until ordered to stop by the Football Association.
    It is fine reading a book about these things, but something else in the real world.

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w