JOE BIDEN, SO-CALLED ‘PROGRESSIVES’ AND THE REARRANGEMENT OF THE POLITICAL LANDSCAPE

Submitted by Pachamama

As the coalition of forces gather with their vested interests of displace the American fascist dictator, Donald Trump, on a civil warlike political battlefield, it is becoming quite clear that people who call themselves ‘progressives’ will only awake to the machinations, political tricks, being conjured and to the tectonic shifts under the battlefield when it is far too late. Such a re-imagining of American politics, as neoliberalism was the remixing of economic policies, must of necessity, leave ‘progressives’ out in the cold.

We are estimating that this Democratic-led coalition which is likely to emerge from a possible victory will lurch much further rightward than progressives are generally imagining. For Joe Biden is merely running as a Democrat but intends to rule as a Republican. This is all he has known all his life. Being a conservative Democrat means being a Republican. Same as Obama, there are few differences between factions within the duopoly. Biden has never been known to instinctively done anything progressive in his whole life. Above all, politics is about slicing and dicing as an acceptable method of gaining power, not being a fountain of virtue. Not interfering with the hideous structural infirmities on which the country has been built. This is representative of Joe Biden to the bone!

Therefore, it would be irrational to expect a man like Biden to approach, for example, the misanthropically inspired symbology represented by the ‘Star Spangle Banner’, the national anthem, which glorifies slavery in one of its verses. Or revisit the 13th Amendment of the constitution which still legalizes slavery for people in America’s dungeons, 80% of whom are of colour. Need we go on?

Then, the question which progressives will never get answered is – how could he ‘Build Back Better’ on such a flawed foundation? All Biden really wants to do is to get back to how things were before Donald J. Trump was thrown up by the political culture as if those represented halcyon days for Afrikan-Americans, supposedly his most dependable bloc. That’s all!

But, who are these people generally referred to as ‘progressives’? Well, they could be any motley bunch of political gradations from the far-right to the far-left and in-between. To the far-right they may include Republicans who support the logic of climate change and even never-Trumpers. To the far-left they may be communists, antifascists, socialists or even Trotskyists influenced by the lesser of two evils logic.

In this scenario, Joe Biden would, in effect, be the ‘unwitting’ savior of the Republican Party which is likely to be devastated by a massive defeat, if current polling holds true and in the event Trump is unable to complete that well-planned dastardly act currently underway. Should Biden be buoyed by the winds of a fierce national and overwhelming determination which forces Trump into having no other choice but to leave the White House, even to the point of duress if deemed necessary he saves the Republican Party. In so doing, he would be serving the hordes of Republicans seeking asylum within the Democratic Party as a way of making sure the indispensable other half of the American political duopoly survives Trumpism – the Republican Party.

When we look back at the presidency of Trump, in this scenario, it might appear as though a level of master planning, by hidden hands, paved the way for Biden. He could have the prefect landing to enable him to jettison feckless progressive operating under the assumption that this Democratic Party’s ‘donkey’ will take them somewhere. In addition, Biden could have a highly conservative Supreme Court; a Senate which could be Democratic led but more than willing to serve his less than obvious conservative agenda and a House of Representatives acting likewise with muted or sporadic objections from its progressive caucus.

In these circumstances, the LGBTQ identity politicos, who played such an enormous role during the Obama administration, would not be able to co-exist with the Republican elements within the Biden Coalition, absent the few Log Cabin Republicans. If Biden is faced with a choice between these political forces, there is little doubt that he will go with his new-found friends for the fear about defections of the Republicans may cause too much imbalance within his coalition. He will seek to equalize that action by resting on the logic that the LGBTQ forces generally have nowhere else to go.

The same thinking holds true for Afrikan-Americans, Hispanics, and other progressives who will have nowhere to go notwithstanding the presence of a fledgling Green Party with a presidential candidate, Howie Hawkins, and up to maybe a 100 other people seeking the presidency. Defections of progressives are likely to be deemed as merely a temporary setback. Afrikan-Americans should not expect this reformulation of political forces within neoliberal capitalism will deliver any of Biden’s promises about ‘Building Back Better’ and so on. Nothing will happen but talk, until after the election when the drift to the right becomes public. Observers however, can see what a Biden administration will look like right now by the examination of his teams of advisers. To us such expectations are the equivalent of asking a dead man to change his will and expecting it to happen.

One good thing about Biden is that he has dared to locate himself as it to remove the scab from the old festering wounds making America the fascist state it might have always been and/or to which it has now degenerated for all to see. Of course, he was well assisted by the ongoing demonstrations throughout the country and being a politician there was a need for a response that made sense in order to garner the votes of Afrikan-Americans, women, progressives, young people etc.

In some ways Biden has been sheltered by Whiteness and a hyper focus in the country on what is wrongly seen as a cultural anomaly, the Trump presidency. However, the deeper truth is that Biden will never fix, or even start to fix, in eight (8) years, what was consolidated over four centuries.

Guided by history, only the total and complete destruction of American empire can satisfactorily settle these deeply divisive issues, correct all the fundamental social problems that have been termed ‘original sins’. Some contend that this fatal option maybe better that Biden’s return to an abnormal normalcy. Progressives should have long recognized the existential forces at work and found ways to insert someone more able to deal the rebuilding that has to happen and therefore avoid this Biden misdirection.

• CRUSOE

I find your taunts and comments most amusing.
    I have not like others have, sought to post clips and rubbish from the main (lame) stream US media, nor have I sought to present reasoned analysis presented by far more intelligent and knowledable folk on the issues.

I am enjoying the amazing feats at the IPL, while enjoying JOHN KNOX irritate you folk.

As an eschatologists my interest is in looking foward to the rapture of the church, which is the now most imminent event on God’s callender.

This is a view supported by a correct understanding of Daniel.

The imminent demise of the US is very apparent, regardless to who wins the election.

If Trump wins; Soros and the Democrats have sworn to destroy the country, and are very capable of so doing, as witnessed clearly throughout the summer. If the Democrats win, they will destroy the country, by their policies.

This is off course needed for the one world government to come to the fore as predicted in Daniel 9, and in the time line layed out in Daniel 2 and 7.

Regardless to who wins the election, the rapture of the church will occur soon. It will then be of great interest to observe how the antichrist will arise, and how the combined armies of Turkey, Russia and Iran will be destroyed when they attack Israel as predicted in Ezekiel 38/39

It will no doubt be awesome when the stone without hands descends on the toes of the image of Daniel 2 and 7 and 9.

• Dame BajansOctober 26, 2020 5:55 PM

I got the lowdown from his own cousin, whom he fought for years for land that was not theirs.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That would be Iain Deane who would have given the down low to Dame Bajans.

His father would have written him out of his will in 1997 and he could not inherit the shares of KEL, the company which owned the land in dispute, from his uncle under his uncle’s 1982 will.

His uncle could only transfer to issue, siblings, ancestors or spouse due to the restrictions in the Articles of Association!!

His uncle died without issue and was unmarried and all of his ancestors were dead.

That left only his siblings to whom he had left those shares in his 1959 will which was destroyed in 1982.

His father would not give him the one share that would have made him a shareholder and thus enable him to qualify for a transfer of shares from his uncle.

Iain was thus never going to be a shareholder of KEL legally or without the unanimous approval of the shareholders and directors, his siblings and his father made sure of that.

I am a beneficiary of my mother’s will and I can inherit the shares she left me with no restrictions from the articles of association of the company.

• @John

When will your family matter at dispute be settled? In your life time perhaps?

• DavidOctober 27, 2020 11:21 AM

@John

When will your family matter at dispute be settled? In your life time perhaps?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It isn’t a family dispute, it is far more serious!!!!

For me it is one of many tasks assigned to me to complete!!

Those tasks all came with the gifts I was given when I was born just I didn’t know at the time.

As regards the time frame, it is in God’s Hands!!

• Why was he effeminate? Was he BORN THAT WAY????

• Have no idea.

He used to take part in show jumping as a teenager and that took real courage and real strength to be able to compete against other males.

… and he was good.

Can’t remember when I started to form the impression that he was effeminate, must have been well into my twenties.

• My bet is there isn’t anyone on here who took part in this terrifying sport.

• Show Jumping is not for wimps!!

• As I say, not for wimps!!

• GPOctober 27, 2020 11:05 AM

Wuh loss, another ”Soros is the devil” loon. Whuh you people got against Soros? Man just there doing his thing and you all jump on him, despite all the Rockefellers etc etc who control far, far more.

I find that amusing. At least we both have something to be amused at, each other.

• GPOctober 27, 2020 11:05 AM ”As an eschatologists my interest is in looking forward to the rapture of the church”

I was never into snails myself. Is there a Church lunch this Sunday? Culinary rapture is indeed wonderful. But maybe that is how the Antichrist arises, too much smoked snails…. never know what that sort of food does, look how the bats caused COVID.

• Genre: Informal
    Female = 262
    Male = 553
    Difference = 291; 67.85%
    Verdict: MALE

Like Donna, Dame Bajans registers as MALE!!

• No bone spurs on them

• The political machinery backers of Trump
    The military
    The christain coalition
    The gun lobby
    The tobacco industry
    The ethic community including jews
    The Unions based on the promise of curtailing outside labour and big business not leaving the country
    A whole sleuth of businesses some already known
    Some people are going to be disappointed on the night of Nov 3rd
    For sure i would not be one cause i do not have a dog in this race

• And here is the clincher.

Donald Trump….high ranking Freemason?! The designer of the statues was telling us something, all but a ring!

Ok, John, you defence of him makes even more sense. We know that Freemasonry runs deep in Barbados. You are one too?

Vote for the Mason!

• In over his head

• CrusoeOctober 27, 2020 5:31 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I was a LION, a fellow LION invited me to join but I turned the offer down.

That was way back in the 1990’s!!

• @Mariposa
    For sure i would not be one cause i do not have a dog in this race
    ++++++++++++++++
    So why are you here? Did you come to let us know that?
    Don’t you have bigger fish to fry in SGN? Why don’t you go and knock on some doors?

BTW 5o cent just withdrew his endorsement of Trump guess he didn’t want to be in the same camp as Ted Nugent.

• “Like Donna, Dame Bajans registers as MALE!!”

Maybe that is why the racist white bitch at Queens College stole my place at that school in 1959. No room she wrote my mother. The next year my mother went up to the school to get my place as she did not receive a letter. No more room, all classes are filled,send here somewhere else. Some empty headed white bitch’s parent probably went to her and bought my place. It happened up until the mid-60 at all the older schools. A young lad Jerry Kreindler told me he did not pass the screening test, but his father went to the headmaster at the Lodge School and got him a place.

I guess because I stand on my own feet, pulled myself up by my own boot straps, was not born with a silver spoon in de mout, never depended on any man for anything other than doggy, that makes me all male. hahaha.

Well John my boy, I am not a subservient, mealy mouth person. I fight my own battles. I never found a man smart enough that I would want to marry.

Right now, I am very happy with my lot and my little white fellow. At least he knows how sweet we are, just thinking about me gives him a rise. Can you get it up Mr. all male?

• Seniors are expendable

• Down goes John, Down goes John, Down goes John
    I swear I could hear Howard Cosell in his inimitable voice shouting those words

• Dame BajansOctober 27, 2020 8:29 PM

“Like Donna, Dame Bajans registers as MALE!!”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Looks like you were born the same year as Iain Deane!!

• One thing racist white people cant steal are our brains.

• “Despite the constant negative press covfefe”

Donald J Trump

• So easy to prove Republican lies
    +++++++++++++++++++++

An interview Democratic nominee Joe Biden did with George Lopez went viral Monday as right-wing figures claimed he mistakenly called President Donald Trump “George.” In the clip, Biden does stumble on his words, but is speaking directly to the interviewer.

Trump himself even fanned the flames of the theory on Twitter.

Here’s what Biden said, in full: “This is the most consequential — not because I’m running, but because of who I’m running against — this is the most consequential election in a long, long, long time and the character of the country, in my view, is literally on the ballot. What kind of country are we going to be? Four more years of — George, George — we are going to find ourselves in a position where if Trump gets elected, we’re going to be in a different world.”

• SargeantOctober 27, 2020 11:56 PM

So easy to prove Republican lies
    +++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We know 10% of the people on Twitter produce 92% of the content and are Democrats!!

Trump was able to get these idiots to take the video viral by repeatedly viewing the video to see for themselves.

Viral means mostly Democrats viewed the video.

Why would Democrats want to see their presidential pick stumble on his words?

Perhaps for the same reason “change my vote” has also gone viral.

• Bing bash it makes so much sense now. How such a conman could run high in businesses that collapsed for so long.

His father was tied in with the New York mob and he is a high ranking Freemason.

And the stupid people followed his line about crooked Hilary.

Hahaaaaaaaa.

• Let the bastards freeze in the dark

• Dame Bajans,

Damn straight! We don’t drop our lace hankies and wait for a man to pick them up. Helpless and dependent on a man for everything! Status, approval, money, THEIR VERY THOUGHTS.

Like Frank Sinatra, “I did it my way.” Call it male or female. I don’t care.

Stupid John,

Most of us did not have money to show jump. But we did dangerous things. I used to climb to the top of trees just to feel the branch I was on swaying in the wind. Once I met a nest of “wild bees” and jumped straight down landing on my feet. Saved by a pile of leaves.

Some swam in challenging waters and my brother went down steep hills in home made boxcarts.

Don’t think I would have ridden horses though, even if I could. Why should a horse carry me on its back?

But… I had no problem with David Deane. He was just being himself. I don’t see any harm in what he was or did.

• Trump is 74, a senior.

Just had COVID.

It is amazing to watch his rigorous daily routine.

He was in 10 degree weather last night at his rally, the third for the day.

The mere fact that the crowds flock just to stand with him and see him is sufficient to realise the polls having Biden out front are suspect.

• Maniacs and racists are always fervent.

• Like every human being David Deane had his challenges.

I did not see much of him.

The last time I saw him was at Big B many years before his death.

We spoke for a while.

He told me his pancreas was shot and it was only a matter of time.

Still, he lasted for many years after that.

I believe he suffered from diabetes but I don’t know as we were not close.

• de pedantic Dribbler

“And the stupid people followed his line about crooked Hilary.” @Crusoe, that statement says it all about why POTUS can possibly be reelected.

The man’s antecedents were ridiculously bad … any one or two factoid highlights should have been enough to cause defeat – and would have in any previous election cycle, one perceives – but he won! He won of course due to many reasons but a key one was his OPPONENT … she was only partially less corrupt and crooked than he was.

His disinformation campaign is relentlessly comprehensive and cannot be dismissed … and when the history of this entire campaign is written and we can read the totally nefarious and well coordinated attacks on the entire US system of governance and election process by these guys it will be mind-blowingly unbelievable … that’s crystal clear because details available NOW are frightening (with dots still unconnected… by those in Congress who should know better but are playing craven politics) !

This man has now grabbed the system by its ‘cajones’ as genital ‘grabbing’ is just his thing and once again he is capable of causing great distress while getting his pleasure fully satisfied!

Four years ago we were in a similar place and then we were awaiting some more meaningful surprise (about Trump) to defeat him because Clinton just could not put him away despite ALL the scandals … this time around it’s different but yet he still is sticking around according to some polls and the campaign visuals!

Joe Biden is NOT Clinton, however, as he has neither her baggage nor public distaste so one can only hope that the attempts to paint him into that Clintonesque gestalt comes to naught and that this man cannot turn his scandalous, upside-down, alternative facts world into a virtue and victory!

• Covid hospitalizations in El Paso Texas up 300%.

• de pedantic Dribbler

“cojones” … correction for you slang perfectionists! 😊

• Trump could shoot somebody on 5th Avenue and not lose his racist base.

We will soon see if this is still “Who [they] are.

If is who they were in the beginning.

The question isn’t if Trump can win. Of course he can. IT’S AMERICA!

The question is how many of them hate black people more than they love themselves.

• de pedantic Dribbler

@Donna, what’s the big deal! … I mean after all we are advised daily that 1. we will die some day, anyhow, 2. one 74 year old man caught it and survived ‘strongly’, 3. the ratio of death to covid infection is less than1% (and refer to #1), 4. if POTUS is reelected we would continue miraculously turning the corner as the virus is a) not truly a pandemic major problem and b) whatever is here is fully under perfect WH management control!

So at a national or international level those numbers in Texas and those we read in the Carolinas and elsewhere are meaningless right!

If this dude is reelected we know what will happen: Fauci and Redfield (CDC) gone on pre-retirement (fired in short hand); a slew of high level civil servants in those agencies and others like the National Weather Service etc gone too … the man issued an Executive Order facilitating those type of personnel changes previously protected under civil service employment contracts!

So why even ‘worry’ about that stuff now, seriously. If Biden wins things will move in a different direction come Jan 21 but otherwise we might as well get our ‘Sharpies’ and draw our backsides in a sling… bcz to be trumply crude: we are screwed!

• DPD,

Apparently his administration has officially declared his success in ending the COVID crisis. So all is well.

Good grief! Sharpie power!

Surreal!

• Critical Analyzer

I suspect Trump is most likely to win but this is one messed up election.

I can’t wait to see how the real poll shakes out and the analysis of how all the mail-in and early voter turnout strategies work as opposed to the election day strategy and the subsequent analysis of what when wrong for the loser.

• Republicans against Trump

• Trump: Bad for the auto industry
    Good for the funeral industry

• Dame BajansOctober 27, 2020 10:31 PM

One thing racist white people cant steal are our brains.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Don’t worry, I doubt if you could pay anyone enough to want to steal your brain!!

• de pedantic Dribbler

@Mr Analyzer… “I suspect Trump is most likely to win but this is one messed up election.”

And that is an amazing supposition based on ALL the facts; the major ones, the minor ones and the insidious. Why should any reasonable person even be considering this man as President after he so blatantly LIED to citizens about the path and factual details of a hurricane! If he can be so brazen to confound reality and contort facts so shamelessly can we expect that there is ANYTHING that he will not twist and fabricate. Yet that’s all good for folks like you!

“The thing that really has me perplexed is the polls are showing it will be a close Biden win but when I compare the huge difference in numbers, energy levels and comments between the Biden and Trump campaign rallies, I get the feeling of a Trump landslide.”

Well isn’t that remarkable. One guys defies his OWN health policies re covid and drives his nation into lawless regard of the contagion and you acclaim him as an ideal leader who is so full of energy!

If Trump wins by a landslide then we are truly in an alternative universe… I understand a landslide to mean a victory by an overwhelming number of votes (electoral college) .. basically much more than his 2016 result when he got less than 60%. He would have to carry ALL the states he did previously and then some! By ALL practical and reasonable interpretations that seems very, very unlikely. Will he win Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona, Minnesota and Ohio?

If he pulls that out then as many have said before: we are SCREWED!

I gone.

• Dribbles

Your brain is safe too!!

• @John

You pelting licks like peas today LOL

• de pedantic Dribbler

Why thank you sir…I always considered it safe and sound too myself! But of course it is a brain like yours that is worth its weight in the laboratory: full of cells with synapses firing in improbable ways to create those incredibly incredulous concepts.

I was particularly moved but that sterling revelation of how friendship and mutual joy broke out between the ‘cheeks and jowls’ of my Black ancestors and their white owners … that took special brain power to conjure. Well beyond my abilities of course.

Continue to display your excellent brain power good sir as we are all left speechless from what are truly incredibly incredulous displays!

• DavidOctober 28, 2020 2:25 PM

@John

You pelting licks like peas today LOL

+++++++++++++++++

The rain!!

• DonnaOctober 28, 2020 12:33 PM

Quite so.

Pedantic,

Sadly , Donna is right. Along with how much marketing mumbo jumbo and lies Trump can spew out, one thing only will determine this election.

Just how racist are the majority??

That alone could win Trump the election, we all know that his supporters are racist, but just how many are there who hate black and brown people?

As you say, if he wins, we are all screwed and the USA will not be great, it will be torn apart by this madman. Again, as you say, he has made much inroads there already re the civil agencies.

I am convinced that he is working for Putin. I must however admit, it may just be that he is a plain, vanilla, lunatic.

Now we see just how Hitler came to power and held it. He too had support and sycophants, as Trump has his.

If he wins, we all better hope that Dr.GP The Mostest Exhalted Ecclesiastical (TMEE) calls the angels to save us, albeit, he only wants eternity, whether glory or damnation, apparently.

Maybe Dr.GP (TMEE) does not have to look any further as to the Anti-Christ.

Remember as per Revelation, the Anti claims to be of God and represent God, but he is a demon. Sound like anyone we all know of?

Must warm GP (TMEE)’s heart to know that his glorious Last Days may be upon us.

• DavidOctober 28, 2020 2:25 PM

Licks? Moreso spraying bouncers legside and offside. Not hitting anything.

He would be better served spending that energy on a young nubile. Would keep his posting fingers busy too.

• Crusoe,
    According to TMEE, the anti-christ is homosexual and so it cannot be Trump.

Murdah!

But, of course, he believes Barrack Obama is a “buller”, Michelle Obama is transgender, their marriage is a sham and the two children are not theirs. Do we cannot take anything he says on this matter seriously.

How do these right wing loony operatives manage to convince people of this crazy stuff???? George Soros and Democrats planning to destroy the world, Hilary Clinton’s child sex ring, Donald Trump the Saviour.

Q Anon craziness!

• “So” not “Do”

• Obama is a Muslim. He was not born in the USA!!!

• David,

Why do you encourage this creature named John? It is truly sickening. You know he is wrong yet you entertain him in his dangerous behaviour.

Which side are you on?

• John Knox’s brain is poisoned. Anybody who claims to believe in Christianity and also claims that black human beings were living harmoniously with people who thought they owned them is demented.

• @Donna

The blogmaster is on the side of good.

• DonnaOctober 28, 2020 3:36 PM According to TMEE, the anti-christ is homosexual and so it cannot be Trump.

We cannot confirm either of those suppositions…lol.

DonnaOctober 28, 2020 3:54 PM

Oh yes, that is why I agreed with you to use that statement of his as a bookmark. The mind that could come up with that?!

Your grandmother would say, ”stay way from dat fella yuh heaaarr! He ent right”.

• DonnaOctober 28, 2020 3:47 PM

While I cannot speak for the Blogmaster, my view is that he is a mischievous mood and having a laugh at playing with John.

We all need light relief sometimes.

• de pedantic Dribbler

@David, in the words of the groovy 60s re your 3:38PM: Right on!

But on the flip side of that sarcasm there is @Donna’s “Q Anon craziness” to the reality that an individual who spreads their gospel is IN the WH and one recently (after fully embracing the Q) was elected to Congress… the point to all this is frightenly simply: we are overwhelmed with crazy social discourse which drives popular elective politics. Thus more folks will embrace the ‘craziness’ and BS info to reach political stardom!

But here is another level of frighten BS…reputable polls gives Biden a 17 point in Wisconsin, others in Minnesota have Biden up 14 points and in Michigan a13 point lead. Now of course the “average” point spread of several polls in any of those states reflect lower values of confidence but generally the spread is still outside the standard margin of error and reflect a very sober and staggering reality for locales POTUS won (sometimes handily) in 2016.

Thus to read the verbiage from the brother Analyzer and John Trumpet is both amazing and scary. The latter because we wonder: could all this mean NOTHING as these polls are like ice-cream to respondents pregnant for a sugar high .. they say whatever to get the sweets!

If not … well Wisconsin and Michigan going to Biden means its likely that Minnesota could (will) also and with that there seems no practical pathway for POTUS to lose those states and realistically reach 270.

So it comes down to the validity of the poll data … if this again proves to be inaccurate then we will have to rewrite the books and retool the expert guidance on polling as BT and AT.

It would be QAnon, craziness fah real, real, real!

• I can spot another theft proof brain!!!

• Trump loves his supporters so much, he leaves them to freeze to death.

And these morons still vote for him. Lol, you could not make this up.

• Critical Analyzer

@DPD October 28, 2020 2:14 PM
    I don’t pick political sides. That is folly.

I say Trump is likely to win because Trump under polled last time and I think it will be more pronounced this time. The people who vote for Trump seem to either lie or don’t talk to pollsters.

His poll numbers are better this time than they were against Hillary so that I why I think it might end up being a landslide for Trump.

• It is amazing when you cut and past some of the awful things some people say it goes in to so-called moderation. I know I will be told it is the algorithm.

• Still waiting to emerge from ‘moderation’.

• The appointment of Nigeria’s ex-finance minister to lead the World Trade Organization (WTO) has been thrown into doubt after the US opposed the move.

On Wednesday, a WTO nominations committee recommended the group’s 164 members appoint Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.

She would be the first woman and first African to lead the WTO.

But the US, critical of the WTO’s handling of global trade, wants another woman, South Korea’s Yoo Myung-hee, saying she could reform the body.

Ms Okonjo-Iweala said she was “immensely humbled” to be nominated.

But the four-month selection process to find the next WTO director-general hit a road block when Washington said it would continue to back South Korea’s trade minister.

In a statement critical of the WTO, the Office of the US Trade Representative, which advises President Donald Trump on trade policy, said the organisation “must be led by someone with real, hands-on experience in the field”.

Ms Yoo had “distinguished herself” as a trade expert and “has all the skills necessary to be an effective leader of the organisation”, the statement said.

It added: “This is a very difficult time for the WTO and international trade. There have been no multilateral tariff negotiations in 25 years, the dispute settlement system has gotten out of control, and too few members fulfill basic transparency obligations. The WTO is badly in need of major reform.”

The statement did not mention Ms Okonjo-Iweala.

Earlier on Wednesday, after a WTO delegates meeting to discuss the appointment, spokesman Keith Rockwell said just one member country did not support Ms Okonjo-Iweala.

“All of the delegations that expressed their views today expressed very strong support for the process… for the outcome. Except for one,” he said….(Quote)

• I try to stay away from making comments about the USA, but every now and then I break my silence.

If there is any good about Trimp’s presidency, it is that he was a lance to the boil on America and all of the nasty and hidden puss came to the surface and oozed out.

Perhaps America needed this raging lunatic to make itself look in the mirror and see the imperfections that were cleverly hidden.

This election gives us a chance to correct some wrongs and to plan to honor its promises to ALL of its citizens.

• “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”

• Best opening lines I have read in any book though I must confess I never made it to the end. Tried listening to the audiobook just a few months ago and fell asleep.

One book, many attempts over several decades. Is there an abridged children’s version? Lol

• David,

Then give the evil ones no encouragement, however slight.

• TheO,

You are in good form tonight. The boil and the lance is very apt and also the words from Dickens.

We live in hope it will end well.

• Theft proof brain would have to be yours. Too toxic to touch!

• Crusoe,

Reminds me of the numerous capsized boats at the Trump boat parade.

These morons don’t even seem human. I have never met their equal.

Ugly AND stupid most of them.

• The candidate of the bible belt, the candidate of the Evangelicals

• Born on third base and thinks he hit a triple

• DonnaOctober 28, 2020 7:07 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++

You can sleep peaceful.

No one is going to steal your brain!!

There was however a heart man who operated in St. Lucy.

• Thanks for the education GP.

Handel’s Coronation Anthem was delightful.

• JohnOctober 28, 2020 2:47 PM

DavidOctober 28, 2020 2:25 PM

@John

You pelting licks like peas today LOL

+++++++++++++++++

The rain!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On a serious note, we have had over 12 inches here in Christ Church for the month of October and that is about 5 inches more than the average October between 1847 and 1983.

There have been wetter Octobers, for example, 23 inches in 1970 the year of the flood.

If you live under the cliff in the Scotland District, consider coming topside till this rain is done.

There have been serious landslides in the past, Crabhole (St. Elizabeth’s Village) and Boscobelle.

• JOHN
    re Handel’s Coronation Anthem was delightful.
    SO IT IS INDEED
    THE MUSIC OF THE TWO BARUCH COMPOSERS (BACH & HANDEL) CERTAINLY DELIGHT WITH THEIR CHARACTERISTIC USE OF RUNS

NOTE THAT THE 8 WOMEN ON LEFT OF SCENE IN TWO ROWS ARE THE CONTRALTOS
    NICE NIGERIAN CATHEDRAL CHOIR

• In 1785 the Crab Hole Landslip occurred … rain!!

The History of Barbados by John Poyer, first published in 1808, pp. 569-571.

“Among the various operations of nature, which excite our admiration, alarm our fears, or amuse our imagination, the following singular and extraordinary phenomenon will not probably be deemed the least curious and interesting.

On the eleventh day of October, the inhabitants of a part of St. Joseph’s parish called Crab-Hole, were alarmed at the appearance of several deep fissures in the earth, and their apprehensions were soon augmented, at finding that some small tenements had sunk to a considerable depth.

These alarming appearances continuing to increase, many persons were induced to remove their effects to places of greater safety. The plantation known by the name of Walcott’s, was destined to be the melancholy scene of this extraordinary occurrence.

Here, the manager, perceiving that the mansion house was in danger of being buried under the soil, which was descending in large, connected masses, from a neighbouring hill, fled with his family to one of the negro huts for shelter.

In the course of that distressful night, most of the buildings of the plantation fell, or sunk into a deep chasm, which was presently filled up with the mold from the adjacent heights.

The alarm now became general, and the people assembling near the spot were witnesses of a scene of truly awful and affecting. The aspect of the whole region from Walcott’s to Crab-hole, extending upwards of a mile in length, and in breadth about three hundred yards, exhibited a lamentable prospect.

The earth, violently torn asunder, was intersected with numerous chasms, whose widely extended jaws seemed ready to ingulph whatever might be precipitated into them; while, in other places, it was swelled and inflated with enormous tumours, whose convulsive motions menaced the few remaining buildings with destruction.

Nor was it long before they were involved in the general wreck, and, sinking into the yawning gulf, left no traces of their former existence behind them.

The face of nature was so completely changed in that district, that few of the inhabitants could ascertain the spot on which many objects, familiar to their remembrance, had been recently placed.

A field, planted in Eddoes, occupied the site on which the mansion house stood, and brought with it a long slip of the broad road, as perfect and entire as if it had not been removed*.

The cocoa-nut trees, which grew about the house, and even the windmill, were gradually carried some hundred yards from their original position, where the latter was completely swallowed up, no part of it remaining visible but the extremity of the upper arm.

It is not easy, perhaps, to explain satisfactorily the cause of this phenomenon. Probable conjecture ascribed it to the action of a number of subterraneous springs, in a loamy sandy soil, surrounded with recent excessive falls of rain: these springs, struggling for vent, might probably have excavated the encumbent earth wherever they endeavoured to force a passage.

As these invisible waters glided onwards, the surface behind seems to have fallen in, or, meeting with a substratum of a soapy nature, continued sliding down the adjacent declivities as long as it retained, or acquired, sufficient moisture to facilitate its motion”.

This is an occurrence that happens, not infrequently, in the parishes of Saint Andrew and Saint Joseph, during the rainy season.

In that part of the country, which, from its resemblance to the highlands of North Britain, is Scotland, the earth is composed of various strata obliquely disposed.

The super-stratum is generally a rich loamy soil of saponaceous nature, which, being of no considerable depth, easily separates, when saturated with rain, from the substratum, which is commonly of a slippery chalk, flat stones, or loose, red gravel, and slides in large masses, with its growing produce, into the vallies below.

Thus whole fields of sugar canes, corn, and potatoes have sometimes changed masters, and even lofty trees have been removed to a considerable distance without injury.

Of this the curious reader may find instances related in Hughes ‘s Nat. Hist. Barb. p. 21.

• Charles Dickens is a favourite of mine. Read Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, Nicholas Nickelby, Pickwick Papers and many others as a young girl. Made it through almost all of Shakespeare’s wonderful works. Watched them all too. Read Christopher Marlowe’s Dr. Faustus a few years ago. Shakespeare is thought to have borrowed from him.

Read Leo Tolsoy’s War and Peace as a teenager. Read Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables also as a teenager. Watched them both also. Just never finished A Tale of Two Cities.

I was a voracious reader and watcher.

More recently I ‘ve been into Caribbean writers and African writers. Poetry even more than prose.

Although I did recenty reread To Kill a Mockingbird. Watched it last month too. Reminded me of you.

• Ah yes! Now I remember Great Expectations and A Christmas Carol. Read them too. Never read Bleak House only watched it.

So, silly John, you are wrong again. Don’t you ever get tired of it?

• All that effort to stay awake to avoid the impossibility of brain theft!!!

• Wasted time!!

• No effort! Slept early because of the rain.

Used to stay up all night READING. Under the covers with a torch to fool my mother.

So….. poor Johnnie! Don’t try to distract! We were talking about the fact that I haven’t finished reading A Tale of Two Cities. Turns out I’ve read just about everything else.

Wrong again, Johnnie! Always wrong!

• Nigel Farrage???? Is that supposed to be a GOOD thing??????

I wouldn’t want him to heap praise on me!

Oh dear!

Now THIS is the true waste of my time. You got nothing.

Out!

• Critical Analyzer

@Donna
    You should read Summer Lightning if you have not read that one yet.

• Nigel Farage is 18 years younger than Trump.

• Guess Farage is all he got

• None of the cast of characters portrayed actually got anything of significance done.

Farage did and Trump continues to do.

Two doers far outweigh any numbers of talkers.

• … actually even one doer outweighs any number of talkers!!

• Trump chose the people of whom you said never “got anything of significance done” As he said “only the best people”

Have these folks ever gotten anything done?

• Voter Suppression Texas style