James O’Rourke: A Slap on the Ass – A Slap on the Wrist

The question many continue to ask – why did a British man James O’Rourke receive a reprimand and discharge from a Barbados court for slapping a woman on the ass.

The second question – why the obvious biase coverage by the Nation newspaper declaring the headline Visitor: I was saved by CCTV.

• Indeed DPD, I do not get all the hoop-la, John notwithstanding.

• I have been inappropriately touched by black Barbadian men. I have never been inappropriately touched by any white tourist man. They have always been polite, holding doors open, smiling and exchanging jokes. My young niece, my best friend and her beautiful young daughter work or have worked in the tourism industry and they do not speak of any such thing. I am sure it happens but is it pervasive. If it is not then I do not understand what we are doing here.

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

@DPD at 10:37 a.m. of June 1, 2019 “Dissembling”

Is that the same as telling lies?

I, unfortunately did not have the opportunity to attend a British school.

@Donna at 11:18 a.m. of June 1,2019

Whether or not this bad behaviour is pervasive or not.

Once is too many times.

A respectable middle aged lady, a devoted wife, and a loving mother [I have know the lady for many years] should be free to go about her legitimate business in her own country without fear of being feeled up by complete strangers; and without fear of being re-victimised by being cast as a prostitute by those in the white Bajan community, all of whom know better, and all of whom have been educated out of the labour of working class black women, just like this lady.

Is that too much to ask?

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

And RIchard Hoad, a white Bajan columnist in yesterday’s Nation tells some foolish story about how his father told his sons that they should touch a woman without consent in order to guage her feelings.

Mr. Hoad is old enough to ask whether his father was a bad behaved man, and wrongly informed his sons about how to approach women.

And the Nation a newspaper founded by a black man who is scarcely cold in his grave was foolish enough to run that foolishness. I would not be at all surprised if the Nation survives Harold’s death by 10 years.

The Nation seems to forget that the majority of their readers are black people, and that the majority of its advertisers are businesses whose companies could not survive for a year without their black customers.

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

And for all of you who are too dense to understand, for all of you who need somebody to read and spell for you”

Unless a woman is your wife or your steady girlfriend DO NOT TOUCH

And even if she is your wife or girlfriend and you two have had words do not touch either without permission.

You do not own anybody else’s body.

Massa day dun de’d.

• More bluntly stated Black men have the same proclivity or depravity in our current times to slap derrieres.

++++++++++++++++++++++

All men are so moved at one time or another in their lives!!

Most men know how to control the urge.

Think about a 14 year old Emmett Till with raging hormones walking into a store and coming face to face with a 21 year old former beauty queen!!

Lets say Carolyn Bryant filed a complaint and stuck to her story, do you think Emmett Till could have walked away without jail time from a charge of sexual assault against a female … who also happened to be white and a beauty queen?

Hardly.

What do you think happens to 14 year old boys thrown in jail with hardened criminals, regardless of colour?

Emmett Till should have controlled himself.

His friends did.

For me the horror is the failure of the court system to punish the murderers.

• talk but don’t touch me

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

Decent men do not walk about feeling-up strange women, nor do decent men seek to justify [however obliquely] or defend such bad behaviour.

Too many have never know, or have forgotten what decency means.

None of you here would be happy if your mother, wife or daughter was so sexually assaulted. None of you would regard it as a minor matter.

• Look like there’s inappropriate touching and holding in the rabbit hole..
    “Whatever his reaction was, whether only a wolf whistle or as Carolyn Bryant swore, inappropriate touching and holding, he is going to be … moved!!”

To the twistorian, there is nothing inappropriate in Barbados (for a Black woman).

• @Simple Simon
    Indeed, you have a very simple idea on this issue..
    And it is by far, the very best comment/explanation/analysis
    👍👍👍👍👍

• @VC
    ” It over-corrects.”

I filed that under words I don’t want to hear if I at in a self driving car at the top of a cliff 🙂

• Piece the Legend

@ Sir Simple Simon President for Life.

I had promised not to come back but my BUDDY De Ingrunt WORD commented.

So I will respond one more time because him.

You are repeating Such simple words Simple Simon, words which speak to the right of any woman not to get “feel up”.

Whether you are white black or red or yellow, no woman is to get felt up.

We, because we black, do not believe that this blackness gives a free pass to Clarence Thomas or Bill Cosby or R Kelly.

What we who are conscious of ourselves, going say though is that, we always going be pretty incensed when a native or a visitor, especially a white on tek dese liberties wid one uh we women.

I need not say why my awareness of the actions of caucasians is so locked on, I have mentioned some of the names that feed that consciousness earlier but less they forget, Till, Biko, Tinney and the rest of us

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

And to John who has tried to divert the discussion, this is not about Emmett Till [may he rest in peace, and may his killers roast in the eternal unquenchable flame] this is about a respectable middle aged Bajan widow going about her legitimate business, and who was sexually assaulted by a complete stranger, and further it is about white Bajans, and specifically about white Bajan men who have sought to further re-victimise this lady by attempting to cast her as a prostitute.

One of these days you mother will be a widow.

One of these days your sisters will be widows.

One of these days your wife will be a widow.

One of these days your daughter will be a widow

• And to John who has tried to divert the discussion, this is not about Emmett Till

++++++++++++++++

I did not raise Emmett Till!!!

PTL claimed he was killed when Emmett Till was killed … melodramatic but I respect his right to be!!

I have tried to help him with some facts so he can rid himself of the demons Emmett Till’s death caused him!!

• … this is about a respectable middle aged Bajan widow going about her legitimate business, and who was sexually assaulted by a complete stranger, and further it is about white Bajans, and specifically about white Bajan men who have sought to further re-victimise this lady by attempting to cast her as a prostitute.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You still don’t get it.

No complaint, so not a victim!!

No victim not an assault.

No possibility of re-victimization.

Just look at the facts dispassionately and follow them where they lead.

• …. and who was sexually assaulted by a complete stranger

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Your conclusion that there was a sexual assault is similar to the conclusion the two murderers of Emmett Till reached.

The difference is you do not have first hand evidence from the person you claim was sexually assaulted.

The murderers were one step ahead of you, they had the first hand evidence which turned out to have been possibly untrue.

If you had such evidence you should go to the Police.

Perhaps the biggest lesson we can learn from the Emmett Till case is “do not take the law into your hands”.

PTL became so emotional that he was prepared to go looking for my imaginary daughters and sexually assault them!!

The murderers of Emmett Till became so emotional that they went looking for Emmett Till.

What is the difference between PTL and the murderers … and you?

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife June 1, 2019 3:23 PM

@Donna at 11:18 a.m. of June 1,2019

Whether or not this bad behaviour is pervasive or not.

Once is too many times.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am simply stating that you guys are blowing the actions of ONE MAN out of proportion. Some of you are speaking as though he represents ALL tourists who come to Barbados.

Dear Donna:

I don’t know if you feel that strangers have the right to feel up you, but no woman,NONE should be feeled up by complete strangers. An idiot tried that with my mother once, but because she was working as a labourer and had a knife, a tool of her trade on hand, she pulled the knife on the fool and brought him to an immediate Christian understanding.

And John the LIAR is claiming that since there appears to have been no written complaint, that there was no offense. This idiocy about written complaints is EXACTLYi what has got the Catholic Church in millions of dollars in trouble.

The lady immediately complained to the police. Whether or not it was a written complant. It was an immediate and valid complain. John knows, because my taxes helped to pay for his expensive education that verbal contracts and verbal complaints are valid in law.

John ought to be ashamed of himself. Demonising the very people whose labour and whose money paid for his expensive education.

• An idiot tried that with my mother once, but because she was working as a labourer and had a knife, a tool of her trade on hand, she pulled the knife on the fool and brought him to an immediate Christian understanding.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I figure your mother must have passed because if she were here I figure she would put you over her knee and roast your backside for giving out her private business.

I know the verbal lashing I would get if I tried a stunt like that giving out my mother’s private business!!

This was a lesson in life your mother gave you first hand.

The lesson is if you have a noise with someone, settle it then and there!!

Your mother has no more of a complaint now than does the lady at the gas station.

You can’t be an avenging angel for anyone in hind sight!!

If you were present by all means speak up, otherwise, just … shut up … for lack of a better way of putting it.

This is a storm in a teacup.

• SS

Of what crime was your mother a victim?

Don’t you realise by classifying your mother as a victim you are belittling her?

She was clearly a strong independent person, far from a victim.

Wise up!!

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

It was not private business. When a man assaults a woman as she is minding her own business and walking along the public road, HE has made it public. My mother’s immediate response was also immediately public, just like the taxi lady’s response was immediately public. I would bet anything that subsequently he hesitated to try feeling-up strange women. My mother did nothing wrong, therefore she has/had no reason to be ashamed.

Women should not keep dirty secrets for men. It enables men to carry on with their bad behaviour. A sharp knife in the guts one time would help to immediately correct some of this bad behaviour.

And for Donna who seems to think that it is no big deal, I hope that you are not so teaching your son, otherwise one of these days a woman may let him have a sharp knife in the guts. Because to have your private parts touched by strangers IS A BIG DEAL.

When he sees strange women, look but don’t touch, except perhaps to shake hands.

The correct way for a man to greet a strange woman is to offer his hand. If she accepts, then you shake hands. This instruction is for those who seem to have been dragged up in caves.

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

Everybody, women included have the right to bodily integrity. They have the right not to be sold, not to be hit, not to be enslaved, not to be feeled-up. Just as countries have the right to defend their integrity, up to an including nuclear weapons, so do women have the right to defend their bodies. Women need to start going “nuclear” on wunna bad behaved men. teach wunna that wunna don’t own any body except your own body.

And then got the rudeness to turn ’round and start denigrating the honourable lady.

• The correct way for a man to greet a strange woman is to offer his hand.

++++++++++++++++++++++

What is the correct way for a woman to greet a strange man?

Same.

Extend her hand.

If he accepts, then they shake each other’s hands.

Greeting him by slapping him on the bottom, balls or other private part? No, no, no.

People who were not raised in caves understand this.

• I cannot count the number of women I met from all over the world for the first time on the hikes over the almost 2 decades of hiking I enjoyed.

Rarely if ever did hand shaking occur!!

The only occasions when hand shaking occurred was if there was a formal introduction.

We greeted each other with a smile and for 3 hours (sometimes more) enjoyed each other’s company.

@John at 3:20

Where did I say that my mother was a victim? Stupseee!!!

She pulled her tool/weapon and immediately rebuffed the devil pretending to be a man.

Do you think that when I go to do my gardening I go empty handed?

Lolll!!!

June 2, 2019 9:13 PM

@John at 3:20
    Where did I say that my mother was a victim? Stupseee!!!
    Do you think that when I go to do my gardening I go empty handed?
    Lolll!!!

+++++++++++++++++++

But if you don’t subscribe to this theory I am very pleased to read!!

Do you understand where PTL fits in to the promotion of this theory?

He is one of the “champions” of an oppressed class, blacks, victims of the oppressor class, whites!!

This is classic Marxist theory, the separation of people into classes or groups and then pitting them against each other.

You may have noticed that PTL asked me why I hate him, PTL and PLT!!

I don’t hate either.

I just recognize them both for what they are from what they promote.

They both crave power!!

You will also have seen that I proposed some really radical theories which I believe to be true!!

Everything I have said I believe to be true.

One of the problems programmed people have is they can’t go off script and often self destruct when taken to new ways of thinking.

They often can’t deal with it and accuse the purveyors of new ideas as liars, racists and every invective they can muster.

Whoever appears to support the new ideas are also slated for destruction.

PTL for example, ended up attacking Freedom Crier who happened to support some of what I was saying and got creamed!!

She committed a crime as he saw it.

Words to the wise!!

There are two reasons I shared some of my rather radical ideas.

The primary reason was that I think people should at least have an opportunity of seeing another side of history.

The second reason was to see how these ideas might be received!!

I actually enjoyed the conflict, it made my beliefs even stronger!!

I was forced to analyse and understand why these ideas were so vehemently opposed and as you see, I think I know why!!.

• I need to say I acted independently …. you can leave Freedom Crier alone.

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

I’ve never said a word to the semi-literate Freedom Crier.

• Sear Simple Simon,

I object strongly to a woman of any colour being molested by a man of any colour. If the man did as you believe then he was indeed out of order and should have faced consequences. I do not know the lady and therefore cannot vouch for her veracity. I was under the impression that the man was cleared by CCTV footage. Maybe I misread the newspaper report. What was the reason for the man being released? Are you suggesting that the court afforded him some sort of privilege?

What I am saying to you is that you guys are taking this one incident and behaving as though it is a pervasive problem that needs to be addressed. I am not aware that it is.

And as for the maligning of the lady’s character by the white people in this country, I was not aware of that but if they are, I don’t really think you are adequately addressing it.

In short, you guys are all over the place and coming across as excessive. Better to keep cool and calm and logical.

• The issue is whether the magistrate dispenses a fair sentence to line up with her rebuke the day before sentencing, question about the release of the CCTV video to clarify and how can the accusation being propagated by some there was interference. Some on the blog have decided to run riot with the issue like crap running from a baby botsy.

• And FYI my son has not only been taught to respect women’s bodies but quite often passes on the lesson to his peers even quite recently in a whatapp message to a boy shown to me by my best friend.

• Did anyone ask if O’Rourke was inebriated when he slapped the woman on her backside? I think he was.

Guests of all inclusives are likely to drink a lot.

• David,

The emotional excesses have even resulted in the misreading of my very clear comments and to insinuations that I, OF ALL PEOPLE, am okay with sexual assault and that my son is therefore in danger of becoming a perpetrator.

What person of sound mind could come to any such conclusion after reading my many posts on many many topics over the years?

SMH.

• @ John June 2, 2019 10:54 PM
    “I took your introduction of your mother’s experience as an effort to support the thesis that black women are victims of white men … the victimhood theory that has been spouted here!!”
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    “There are two reasons I shared some of my rather radical ideas.
    The second reason was to see how these ideas might be received!!
    I actually enjoyed the conflict, it made my beliefs even stronger!!”
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sir John, you always present yourself as a keen student of recent history especially within the Barbadian context.

There is ample evidence to ‘support the thesis that black women have been victims of white men’ in the West for a few centuries.

Just look around you and see the large number of ‘coloured’ people in Barbados and other places in the so-called New World.

How do you think this genetic phenomenon arose? Through consenting miscegenation in which European men took enslaved African women to the altar in the various Catholic and Anglican churches built with black slave labour?

Would you honestly claim- as an expert on the period of enlighteningly ‘benign’ chattel slavery in the Caribbean and the Americas- that black women were not victims but consenting adults in becoming bed wenches to the Massa and his male heirs to the African harem?

If you as a coloured boy at HC pretending to be a white man had read the well-researched ‘documentaries’ by Kyle Onstott and Lance Horner you would not be so misinformed about what it means to be a black woman living on a plantation of yesteryear or even today called the tourism belt aka the modern Nig**er yard.

• @ Donna,

Good on you for teaching your son to treat women with respect.

• John,

Quite true that the divisions were created in a quest for power and control. The horse, however, has already bolted and only a Supreme Being can catch it and bring it back.

In the meantime we can do no more than attempt to counteract the effects of the division.

And so……..

• But John,

These divisions, those of class, race and gender, AS WE ALL KNOW, were around way way before Marx was even born. In fact one can find them laid bare in your BIBLE. But anything, no matter how absurd, to support your TWISTORIAN narratives, I suppose.

So, not classic Marx but classic John, I suggest.

• @David
    +++++++++++++++
    The issue really is what happened between the arrest and the “acquittal” of the charges, one day the magistrate is in full indignation and the next day he is rolling over and playing dead and the accused is claiming that he has been cleared by a review of the closed- circuit images. If the tape cleared him why did the Police arrest and charge him? Even if an arrest was deemed to be correct due to the accusations why didn’t the Prosecution review the tape before presenting a case before the judge? As for the “botsy running” you should know that Bajans do not trust the legal system when it comes to the dispensation of justice when it comes to Black and White people, perhaps it has to do with historical antecedents.

• @ Sargeant who wrote ” I leave you to ruminate on how the law would respond if a white female tourist had accused a black taxi driver of slapping her on the behind.”

The taxi driver would be at Dodds on remand pending sentence.

• @Sargeant

We are saying the same thing.

@Donna

It is not what i believe. The man admitted to the court that he struck the lady, but claimed it was a joke. It may have been a joke for him, but clearly the lady did not find it funny.

Sensible adults do not walk about hitting others, unless in immediate self defense. At no point has the man or his defenders claimed that the woman struck him first or threatened him by her words or her actions.

HE HD NO RIGHT TO HIT HER.

If he had hit my ma he may well have gone back to England on a stretcher, and then we would be having a completely different conversation.

If it has not yet done so,the British Foreign Office needs to inform British subjects that they must not go to foreign lands and strike the people they find living there.

The sun has long since set on the British Empire. Not so great Britain no longer rules the world.

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

I have gone to England many, many times and never once has it occurred to me to hit anybody, there not even in my “drunken machismo” to quote the recently Austrian Vice Chancellor. Lolll!!!

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

Dear Donna: Glad to hear that you are raising a proper man. Would that all parents did the same.

@Hants at 8:57

You raising the “drunken machismo” excuse now?

Alcoholics [drug addicts, sexual assailants] should stay in their own countries.

Sensible adults, who are not alcoholics can travel because they know when enough is enough. I mean nobody sticks an IV in their arm and pours in the alcohol.

Nothing as off putting as bigable men behaving like pissy l’il boys.

• Simple Simon,

Then you need to cut out the emotion and be more surgically precise. If the problem is the Court’s preferential treatment of white people or white tourists, then deal with that issue. If the problem is the actions of that particular tourist, then deal with that issue. If the problem is the attitude of white British tourists in general then support with evidence and deal with that issue. If the problem is the white Bajans’ attack on the lady, then deal with that issue.

You guys are all over the place.

PS. The man did have an explanation as to his guilty plea. Don’t know whether it’s true or not .

• We who have been designated as “black people” would be willing to sing Kumbayah but ain’t nobody else singing it with us.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Who designated you as black people?

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

I am the least emotional person you could ever hope to know.

This particular issue is as I stated in an earlier issue, part of a continuum.

• Simple Simon,

From reading the posts from Hants over the years I doubt that he would think that drunkenness is any excuse for sexual misconduct. I think he is trying to find an EXPLANATION. Explaining does not mean excusing. This is what I mean by being overly emotional. Hants has been posting here for years. He is a cryptic person. I would ask him to expand rather than assume and attack.

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

The man had an explanation for has guilty plea?

Who said so? The man himself?

The man who it is claimed is a company director, and now we are being misled to believe that he is some innocent abroad,y and does not know how to use a telephone directory to find an English speaking lawyer in an English speaking country? Lolll!!!

Yes Donna. I believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

I do. I really do.

• John
    June 3, 2019 11:16 AM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Who designated you as black people?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Has it ever dawned on you that you could re-designate yourself as Barbadian?

Why rely on person or persons unknown to tell you who you are.

• Donna
    June 3, 2019 11:21 AM

Simple Simon,

++++++++++++++++++++++

The explanation is easy.

No charge of assault made against the man, nothing to answer.

He seems to have been charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct to which he pled guilty, was reprimanded and discharged.

What we are watching going on here is the creation of a victim and the rise of the avenging angels to right the wrongs done the victim!!

It doesn’t dawn on these avenging angels that by designating the lady as a victim, unable to stand up for herself they, the avenging angels, are diminishing her as a person, … a Barbadian!!

Same principle with the reparations sought for slavery.

It doesn’t dawn on anyone that by designating slaves as victims, people are denigrating them.

Victims of what crime?

There was no law against slavery until 1833/4.

My research shows slaves were people with a variety of skills and an integral and valued part of life.

They were no more victims than the lady at Sol.

To treat them as such diminishes them and by extension, us!!!

We are after all their descendants.

I certainly don’t consider any of my slave ancestors as victims.

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

The man who by his own admission in court struck the lady on her private part, that is for those who do not understand what the private part was, it is a part on a lady normally covered by her panty or bra. The man who admitted to striking the lady is the one who denigrated her.

I can’t even go into the market and slap the butcher’s piece of pork.

And he can slap a living, thinking human being,and you malign idiot can jump to his defense? No wonder you have suffered. Very likely you will suffer some more. A whole lot more.

• The man who by his own admission in court struck the lady on her private part,

++++++++++++++++++++

All that matters is the lady did not see fit to file a written complaint and/or the police reckoned there was no charge to answer.

What is so difficult?

• I have spoken with hundreds (maybe even thousands) of persons on the hikes and never found one who was not keen to find out more about the history of Barbados.

When first Barbados Free Press (2006) and then Barbados Underground (2007) appeared, I sought to share some of what I had discovered as I had been doing for the previous 20 odd years, face to face!!

I was amazed by the response but quickly realized it was only a few people and of course, the people were “anonymous”.

Being scientifically inclined I sought to find out why a few people could be so different from the vast majority of persons with whom I had spoken face to face.

It is difficult to be “anonymous” and cling to ideas that set you apart from most people!!

• Simple Simon.

What John is saying is that there was no formal complaint made by the lady but the police charged him for resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. Therefore he could only be punished for resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

If you are unemotional then why are you flailing about so wildly?

And why do you punish me by making me have to agree with John?

😒

• But joy! Now I get to disagree with him again.

@Jiohn

Actually I have no problem with being designated as “black people”. I agree with you that we have the ability to do all manner of great things and indeed have done so and some are presently doing so. And though I know that we are fully human with all the requisite abilities I also know that there are many descendants of both lighter and darker hues who are resistant to the idea.

The problem I have is that the people who have made the designation did so for malevolent reasons and their descendants continue to use the designation against us. And to great effect! And so though I do not have a victim mentality, I do have a realistic view of the world.

The problem is systemic and wishing it way will not change it. The world is indeed against us no matter what we think of ourselves. The world will not turn away from its divisions just because we want it to. It is deeply ingrained.

Being aware of the enemy and devising ways to counteract his assault is a matter of survival. Overcoming our brainwashing and rising to our full potential will allow us to prosper. That is what we need to work on.

But with eyes wide open for the enemy!

• Correction – wishing it away

• @ John June 3, 2019 11:46 AM

Same principle with the reparations sought for slavery.

Victims of what crime?

There was no law against slavery until 1833/4.

They were no more victims than the lady at Sol.

To treat them as such diminishes them and by extension, us!!!

We are after all their descendants.

I certainly don’t consider any of my slave ancestors as victims.”
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Is that the reason for compensating the slave owners with lucre equivalent to billions of pounds sterling in today’s money for loss of their ‘valuably precious’ property?

What do you thing the average slave body was worth back then? A bible and a burial on the Massa land not fit for growing sugarcane?

• The problem I have is that the people who have made the designation did so for malevolent reasons and their descendants continue to use the designation against us.

++++++++++++++++++++

Just one!!

• By making the above claim, Dear John, are you suggesting here that the slaves were willing and consensual participants in the whole dirty business which can be compared to legalized prostitution?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Isn’t that kinda obvious?

• @ John June 3, 2019 4:30 PM

So why was there the need to deploy large militias and sniffer dogs to keep the ‘keenly willing slaves tethered to the various plantations?

Why was it deemed a serious criminal offence for slaves to visit Bridgetown and other places without their owners’ permission or in the ‘entourage’ of their masters?

Why the constant fear of insurrections resulting in the banning of ‘beating’ drums?

Why the signaling stations near to the plantation great houses across your 2×3 island?

But you could just be “right” in your assessment of blacks. How could they be of any worth when they could be easily bought for a calabash of food of pig guts and feet?
    Why would they want anything other than your sweet white Jesus given to them after 1838 as a ‘pension payment’ for invaluable but free services rendered to their white god and massa.

• Go read Ligon!!

John
    September 29, 2008 5:21 PM

Here is another version written about 60 years earlier in the 1650’s by Richard Ligon.

It also addresses differences but its reasoning is different and it gives a possible explanation for the distrust.

Ligon visited the island from 1647 to 1650, had this to say when he addressed “Reasons why the Negroes can plot no massacres upon their masters”.

“It has been accounted a strange thing, that the Negroes, being more than double the numbers of Christians that are there, and they accounted a bloody people, where they think they have power or advantages; and the more bloody, by how much they are more fearful than others: that these should not commit some horrid massacre upon the Christians, thereby to enfranchise themselves, and become masters of the island.

But there are three reasons that take away this wonder; the one is,

They are not suffered to touch or handle any weapons:

The other, That they are held in such awe and slavery as they are fearful to appear in any daring act; and seeing the mustering of our men, and hearing their Gun-shot, (than which nothing is more terrible to them) and their spirits are subjugated to so low a condition, as they dare not look to any bold attempt.

Besides these, there is a third reason, which stops designs of that kind, and that is,

They are fetched from several parts of Africa, who speak several languages, and by that means, one of them understands not another:

For, some of them are fetched from Guinny and Binny, some from Cutchew, and some from Angola, and some from the River of Gambia.

And in some of these places where petty Kingdoms are, they sell their Subjects, and such as they take in Battle, whom they make slaves; and some mean men sell their Servants, their Children, and sometimes their wives; and think all good traffic, for such commodities as our merchants send them.”

• I see the twistorian has said “Full speed… Ahead is Quakerland”.

• @Donna, very interesting, your notes to Simple Simon; some president for life she will make. More of a dictator in my opinion.

• Miller
    June 3, 2019 4:59 PM

@ John June 3, 2019 4:30 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++

You have been watching too many movies, about America!!

• @ John June 3, 2019 7:35 PM

No John, not American movies but ‘manuscripts’ describing the ‘defence’ measures undertaken by the Bajan plantocracy to protect their interests and properties prior to the establishment of the ‘white’ Police Force in the 1830’s.

If only the Quakers had done a proper job of propagating and practising ‘genuine’ Christianity there would NOT have been any opportunity for the exploitation and abuse of a vulnerable species called the blacks on the plantation.

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

Donna: you say that John said that the man was arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

But is that the truth, or it that just one more of John’s lies?

John has also claimed that the lady did not make a formal written complaint, but we all know as i pointed out to John, that when someone is murdered, the murdered one does not complain at all, yet the police and the prosecutors are able to build a case and juries are able t convict, and the judges are able to sentence even though as we all know dead men make no complaints and tell no tales.

So I asked John, and I’ll ask you, how are convictions obtained when the person against whom the offence has been committed can never ever complain?

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

@Donna at 3:14 “flailing”

Why do you feel that I am flailing?

Who says that I am flailing? You?

Does that make it true.

Georgie Porgie feels that I am a prostitute.

Does that make it true?

I rather think that you are believing what you chose to believe, or what emotionally is easier for you to believe.

John is a noted liar. He has been called out on this very blog by schoolmate(s)

@whitehill at 6:49

How are you in the sweet hills of St. Andrew.

I don’t wish to be a dictator.

I discipline myself, and i expect others to do the same.

i hope that you don’t mind?

@John at 5:01

Did Ligon even go to Africa, or was he just repeating the lies told to him by 17th century white Bajans? Since he sat in their houses and ate their food why is anybody surprised that he also repeated their lies?

June 3, 2019 8:50 PM

But is that the truth, or it that just one more of John’s lies?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The lady is your friend.

Why don’t you just ask her?

• @El Presidente, I’m sorry I’m no longer a resident there, still, I visit very often to be with my people. Unfortunately most of the older folks have either died or have relocated. No matter how long I’ve been away or my present situation, there is that feeling of going home the minute i enter Porey spring onto Dunscombe on through Hillaby on my way to White Hill.

• Was the Bussa rebellion quelled by the army of Quakers or the militia manned by a band of rednecks which morphed into the Bajan Regiment and the Police Force serving Queen Victoria and her successors to keep those uppity ex-slaves in their places?

+++++++++++++++++++++

Did you know the British Army was “garrisoned” here from c.1780?

I recall reading a medal from the Battle of Waterloo was found at a “fort” in St. Lucy suggesting that some of the Vets from that battle were stationed here, perhaps in 1816!!

Many Quakers were fined for not turning up for the Militia!!!

My guess is during the time that Quakers were present, there was nothing to quell!!

But you can prove me wrong just tell me when before 1816 was there a slave rebellion?

Good thing there was none, there probably wasn’t much of a militia as many Quakers refused to serve!!

• …….but we all know as i pointed out to John, that when someone is murdered, the murdered one does not complain at all, yet the police and the prosecutors are able to build a case and juries are able t convict, and the judges are able to sentence even though as we all know dead men make no complaints and tell no tales. (Quote)

@Simple Simon

To do so is folly, so too are your comments.

• John
    June 3, 2019 4:29 PM

++++++++++++++++++++
    Just one!!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you go looking you will find that the designation “black” originates in the USA sometime in the 60’s.

It morphed into African Americans so if we follow this designation then we will begin using the term African Barbadians.

Sometime in the 1980’s or 90’s the victim tag was attached … also in America.

You will probably find the Justice Brothers were instrumental in attaching the victim tag..

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife June 3, 2019 8:56 PM

@Donna at 3:14

John is a noted liar. He has been called out on this very blog by schoolmate(s)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Pray tell, why would it be emotionally easier for me to believe that??????? Quite frankly, it is emotionally easier for me to face and confront truth. People sweeping dirt under the rug is an issue I have even with my family members. They like to pretend that problems don’t exist. I am labelled the problem for raising issues that need to be addressed. Kinda like the minibus driver and his crazy passengers who labelled me miserable and in need of a man for INSISTING that he stop whatApping while driving and suggested that I just say a prayer and shut the hell up.

I won’t bother to repeat what I said to you. I suggest you reread what we (you and I) have written and see where you have jumped to wild conclusions about me and my expressed opinion.

I too often call John out on his lies. Maybe we should check the newspaper report again or you should indeed check with the lady, since you know her. Then we could proceed armed with more than just supposition and assumptions.

• John,

I SAID –

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    YOU SAID –

Sometime in the 1980’s or 90’s the victim tag was attached … also in America.

MY ANSWER

“Black”, “coloured”, “n*gger” makes no difference. The designation of inferior being was made by the slavers and their descendants. Who designated these persons of darker hue three fifths of a person? Did they do that to themselves. Did the Justice Brothers do that as well? And as for the “victim tag” – I was around before the 1980 s and so was that feeling of oppression, not for me or my family because we will die fighting but for others of lesser mental strength. It was so in america and it was so in Barbados.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just one!!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Unfortunately, my mother was not as lucky as I. SHE was designated black by the English “white” folk. One woman told her she should not even be standing behind her in a bank line. She, being of the non victim persuasion, told her that if she did not want her behind then she should let her get in front. Another time she had occasion to show another the bottom of her feet and tell her she was walking on the white part. Another time she was asked what she was doing being a nurse in England. She told that person that she was using the English as guinea pigs so she would be an expert for her people in Barbados. Which she did and she was. Yet another time she was designated black by a sick female patient and therefore worthy to be spit on. She jumped into the bed and dealt with that effer until the other nurses pulled her off. Strangely enough she had NO PROBLEM with ‘white’ men. (Maybe because she was pretty.)

I am sorry I don’t have any names for you but though it did not happen to me I have the first hand accounts of my mother. And what happened to my mother was felt by me as though it happened to me.

Now… in Barbados, on one occasion at QC, a classmate named Hutchinson was heard to remark within our earshot that her parents would catch a fit if she brought home a “black” boyfriend. Didn’t bother us because we were smarter than she was and did not have an inferiority complex.

Signed BLACK AND SHINING.

• de pedantic Dribbler

Re “Your above comments show you are misguided. You cannot compare murder, which is a capital offence, to a simple case of assault.”…yes @Goren the blogger SimpleSimon has ridiculously compared murder with other criminal offenses.

She has eclipsed @John at making astoundingly inaccurate remarks amidst some otherwise compelling comments.

I believe several here recognized how abso,utely wrong the inference that ” [all] convictions [can be] obtained when the person against whom the offence has been committed can never [nor does NOT] ever complain” was…but did not want to prolong this back n forth?

I am sure that @Simple herself knows of the many cases where police authorities/prosecutors ended cases when victims REFUSED to cooperate…i.e. to say, technically no complaint was lodged….of course every situation is different and if the prosecutors are zealous they may still seek a statue under which they can pursue the assailant despite the “non complaint – complaint “.

The best example of that : domestic abuse cases when a victim wants to protect their spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend and does not cooperate; unless the prosecutor goes hard to press charges on another possible offense committed (resisting arrest, disturbing the peace, creating a dangerous environment for a minor or whatever other) the matter often did not proceed.

Anyhow enough of this.

• Robert Goren June 4, 2019 1:46 AM

@Simple Simon

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This, among other things, is what I have been trying to tell her. Excessive comments from the start.

• I agree, DPD. Enough of this!

OUT!

• @ Donna June 4, 2019 8:16 AM
    “And so John, while I have been designated black, I love my blackness. I watched my mother kiss her black skin and praise God for it. The older I get the more I find myself doing the same because, thanks to melanin, my skin still looks kissable. I acknowledge the world system and I am determined to beat it in my own way.”
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Interesting woman your mother was; or ‘is’, if still Alive!

When black people, especially the women like your mother, start to ‘praise’ the God which gave them the melanin to stand and rejoice in His presence then they will receive an epiphany of salvation and free themselves from mental slavery.

Black people (especially women) need to start to learn love themselves and appreciate their Sun-kissed skin. Then and only then their species would be saved from cultural extinction.

If only the black Christians, like yourself, could appreciate the ‘deep’ meaning of the following blessing:

“The LORD bless you and keep you;
    the LORD make his face shine on you
    and be gracious to you;
    the LORD turn his face toward you
    and give you peace.”

• Miller,

She is indeed still alive. Still not mentally enslaved. Neither am I. Her attitude was that passed on by her father. She passed it on to my brother and me.

I have every intention of tracing my roots and embracing them fully. All in good time.

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

Donna I was NOT comparing a murder to an assault. I was simply pointing out that convictions are obtained even when the victim cannot complain.

In the old days police never used to arrest husbands who beat their wives unless the wife filed a written complaint. In more progressive countries than Barbados that is no longer the case. Once police have been notified by the victim, neighbours, health professions etc. the police are ORDERED to proceed even if the woman “does not want to complain” because as we know some women are so intimidated by violence that they will never complain in writing.

Not you though, and not your mother, and not mine, nor my sister who complained for a physician who had raped his West Indian domestic servant, then brought her to emergency claiming that he did not know what happened.

Don’t worry ’bout the ZR men, they have put me off too, and some I have not driven with for nearly two decades. If you disrespect me you cannot spend my money.

• The designation of inferior being was made by the slavers and their descendants.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Which slavers?

Thought we had been trough all this already!!

Remember, it is the Quakers who ultimately ended slavery!!

My argument is simple.

A de-humanizing and unjust institution that existed for millennia was ended in less than 200 years, 1648-1834 by Quakers!!

Fact of History!!

Simple truth!!

Too simple for most to grasp!!

John

July 20, 2017 1:19 PM

The culture of Arab supremacy and the legitimacy of enslaving Africans was so entrenched by the fourteenth century that the great North African polymath and sociologist, Abd al-Rahman ibn Khaldun (d. 1406) could assert without fear of controversy that “the Negro nations are, as a rule, submissive to slavery, because [Negroes] have little [that is essentially] human and have attributes that are quite similar to those of dumb animals, as we have stated” (Ibn Khaldun, The Muqaddimah).

This level of dehumanization was not uncommon in medieval Arab culture (despite the clearly egalitarian teachings of Islam which explicitly condemns racism). In many ways, the legacy of the trans-Saharan slave trade (which had various economic and political contexts) and the culture of racism has persisted into the modern period with negative stereotypes of dark-skinned people, the stigmatization of “black” features, and the derogatory references to Africans in general throughout the Arab world.

This is to say nothing of the vestiges of the institution of slavery, which can still be seen from Mauritania (http://edition.cnn.com/interactive/2012/03/world/mauritania.slaverys.last.stronghold/index.html) to Qatar (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/18/qatar-world-cup-india-migrant-worker-deaths), in which thousands, if not millions of people are forced to serve under a system which is unjust and dehumanizing.

• Who designated these persons of darker hue three fifths of a person?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You are back in America, post emancipation, pre civil war!!!

Absolutely nothing to do with Barbados and definitely nothing to do with slavery in Barbados because by that time it did not exist!!!!

You need to get your facts right!!

• Pingback: Lawyer Vonda Pile Found GUILTY as Charged! | Barbados Underground

• Donna

Made an error

I assumed North South meant around the time of the Civil War

I was wrong!!

So when I said slavery did not exist in Barbados at the time I was wrong!!

However, the 3/5 compromise had absolutely nothing to do with Barbados as I correctly said.

Quite amusing to see how the 3/5 compromise was reached.

North and south adopted completely opposite positions where taxation and representation were at issue.

I am interested to know how you got to know of the 3//5’s rule, whether you were told it and believed that it meant slaves were considered 3/5 of a human being or whether you researched it on your own and independently reached your position.

As you raised it I knew I had seen it somewhere before but not portrayed in the way you seek to portray it!!

Just Googled D’Souza three fifths!!

D’Souza is good.

I found out a long time ago that many people often do not know what they are talking about and will not admit it.

I often cross check!!

Here is another version of the same position D’Souza took.

D’Souza is yet to prove himself undependable to me.

• Since we are on the topic of America and slavery check this one out,

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

Trust John the Liar to be quoting Dinesh D’Souza, the deceiver and convict.

Birds of a feather…

• SirSimpleSimonPresidentForLife

And “no” Satan cannot forgive sin.

June 4, 2019 10:08 PM

And “no” Satan cannot forgive sin.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Of course Satan can’t forgive sin …. but Trump can pardon, commute sentence etc like every President before him ….. even Obama!!

Trump pardoned D’Souza … and 9 others so far, 2 years into his 8 year stay in the White House!

He may not reach 50 when he finally office …. unless he gets an extra 2 years to make up for the wasted time of the Russia Collusion investigation..

“By the end of his second and final term on January 20, 2017, United States President Barack Obama had exercised his constitutional power to grant executive clemency—that is, “pardon, commutation of sentence, remission of fine or restitution, and reprieve”—to 1,927 individuals convicted of federal crimes.”

Who is the bigger Satan?

DSouza was convicted because he spoke out against Obama and the Democrats!!

Trump simply righted the past wrong!!

I was curious to see if DSouza would get someone’s goat … I wasn’t disappointed and did not have long to wait!!

• @ John,

Do you know the history of D’Souza. He landed in the US from India and almost immediately set about making a name for himself by attacking black people in the most racist way; he is not the only one, look at a former governor of Alabama and a former UN ambassador.
    Remember that in India caste is important, they have the Daliks (Untouchable) who no matter their level of education they are still marginalised. The Indian constitution was written by an Untouchable; in the UK we have/had a similar case with a law firm, trying to marginalise a fellow lawyer of Dalik heritage. The courts had to tell them that this is Britain, not India.
    If they behave like that to their own people, think what they must want to do with black people. Some of us may recall going in to Indian-owned shops and the owner not even wanting to take change from your hands in case you touched them. You had to put your money on the counter.

• Never heard of him attacking black people.

Came across him a few years back.

Obama’s America I think was the name of the film he made that caught my attention.

I found the history to be sound and the conclusions logical.

When did he get to America and specifically how did he attack black people?

Remember, for most Bajans, myself included only Hollywood, an organ of the left I found, is supposed to make films!!

Hence, my curiosity after hearing about his.

I cross check most of what he says against other sources and facts I know to be true and am yet to find him ,misleading, or wrong!!

But, that’s just me!!

I know what it is to have a position which is conflict with those in power although so far I have never been railroaded to prison!!

Is DSouza an untouchable?

• Piece the Legend

Fyi only

Here is what happens when white women get molested.
    News
    BBC News Navigation
    Sections
    Newsbeat

Miley Cyrus: ‘I won’t be grabbed without consent’

4 hours ago

Miley Cyrus has responded angrily online after apparently being grabbed by a stranger in Barcelona.

The singer, writing on Twitter, said: “She CAN’T be grabbed without her consent.”

A video posted online appears to show a fan grabbing the singer by the neck before trying to kiss her.

Miley’s reaction seems to have been a direct response to some social media users who suggested her lyrics or what she wears made her a deserving target.”

• John,

It matters not whether it occurred in America or Barbados. The attitude and actions of the “white establishment” was the same ALL OVER THE WORLD. The US of A, Britain, Barbados – in lockstep with each other. Look at what is happening today! White supremacists on the rise again worldwide! I don’t need any liberal press to tell me that. I hear the words from the very mouths of the leaders.

You could post and quote D’Souza all you want. Who would trust an Indian to tell the truth about a black man’s experience? You could not even trust Gandhi! I know where he is coming from and so I don’t listen to anything you post from him. He is a liar just like Trump who pardoned him. That is the same Trump who stated yesterday that the multitudes were cheering for him in London and there was only a small protest against him.

As I have said many times – you are a very sick person. You are In perfect agreement with the father of lies and his most fervent follower.

By the way – did you see the Boris Johnson quotes plastered all over the screen at Big Ben yesterday? Apparently he would have liked to show Trump the truth about London but he didn’t want to expose the Londoners to the hazards of meeting Trump (something like leper, I think).

Contrast that with the glowing words Trump recently spoke about Johnson.

Ouch!

• That is what happens when SOME white women get molested. It also happens when SOME black women get molested.

We know that there is bias according to race but we were dealing with one specific case in Barbados and doing so on sketchy details.

Does anybody have all the facts of this particular case?

PS. There is also a gender bias and a class bias. These things we know.

• By the way, Johnnie Ma Boy, you asked me a question. I gave you an answer.

Q: Give me the name of one of those people who looked at you and designated you, Donna as black … and thereby a victim.
    Just one!!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ansewe: I did not say anyone designated me a victim. But they did designate me black. My nickname at the “all white” school I attended in Essex was “BLACKIE”! I liked being different and embraced my nickname just as I embraced my secondary school nickname in Barbados that originated with a classmate who though I twinkled like a star. My father was also designated black by the boys at The Lodge School in the 1950 s and nicknamed accordingly by the “white” boys.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You ignore all that, seize on one tiny part and hope to deflect with the racist Laura Ingraham and the Indian D’Souza.

NO SUCH LUCK!