Reblogged from AfraRaymond’s Website.
The recent controversy over the dismissal of Dennise Demming as Chair of the Tourism Development Company (TDC) has sparked yet another round of debate on the role and operation of State-owned-Enterprises (SoEs).
Some of the issues which have arisen are –
- What is the purpose of these SoEs?
- How do the Boards of these SoEs get appointed?
- Are Board Directors of SoEs required to follow directions from the line Minister?
- Do Board Directors of SoEs have the right to get involved in managerial decisions such as hiring of staff and awarding of contracts?
- Do Ministers and Permanent Secretaries have the right to meet with or direct staff of the SoEs without the input of the Board of Directors?
- Given the recent Appeal Court decision in the UTT case, what is the legal liability of Board Directors of SoEs?
Source: Board Games