Heather Cole

So soon we’ll find out who is the real revolutionaries;
And I don’t want my people to be tricked by mercenaries.

Bob Marley

In this the 51st season on Independence of the island of Barbados, everyone should pause and reflect not only on deliberations of the rainy night over 5 decades ago but on our national development. We should have an open discussion on what has been achieved, where we are now and the plans that we have for fulfilment in the not too distant future.

While we cannot go back and change the past, the backdrop of the present situation is truly horrendous. The changing of the old guard in a faraway place like Zimbabwe whether we acknowledge it or not has an impact on how we view national development.

When Robert Mugabe defeated the minority white government with his freedom fighters to create an independence black led state in 1980 he was the pride and hero of every black person. His actions were immortalized by the great singer Bob Marley. Millions of hopes and dreams were centred on him that he would be the one to transform not just Zimbabwe but the African Continent. Zimbabwe underwent a transformation process. The land was recovered from the English Colonist and the first 10 years went reasonably well, even though the international community retaliated with sanctions. Then corruption started to raise its ugly head.

Robert Mugabe’s rule of 37 years was a strange one; characterised by the destruction of his opposition, economic mismanagement of the country’s financial resources, violence, electoral fraud, corruption and crimes against humanity . With the economic wealth of the country, his form of government recreated the same demon that it destroyed. He replaced white British colonialism with a black Zimbabwean Colonialism. The masses still lived at 2 extremes; the very rich and the very poor; the slum dwellers without hope of leaving the slums of Bulawayo and the super-rich elite whose children flash their wealth on social media; the gold, diamonds, flashy cars, designer clothes even yachts.

Robert Mugabe’s Independence did not have a positive effect on the entire population as it was envisioned in the beginning. In essence, he won the war for Independence but after 37 years of being in power it was evident that he had lost the battle to create a new life for all of his people. One would have thought that the legacy of his accomplishments after 37 years of independence would outweighed the legacy of his war to gain independence for Zimbabwe, but it never will.

His successor Emmerson Mnangagwa, is on record stating that he will repay the white Zimbabweans for the land that Mugabe took from them. One hopes that he is well aware that the land did not belong to them in the first place and that it was remissions to France for its independence that has made Haiti the most poverty-stricken nation in the Western Hemisphere.

One finally hopes that it is not just talk that is coming from Harare but an opportunity to correct the wrongs of the pass and create a more meaningful future for the people of that country where 90% are now unemployed.

In our own backyard, there are lessons to be learned from what has occurred in Zimbabwe. Even though we have not become independent through a physical revolution, there was transfer of power to a Black government, no whites were driven from the country or their lands changed hands but technically the story is the same, the means of production remain concentrated in hands of a few white persons. Here too the population lives at extremes ; blacks living hand to mouth without generational wealth while the wealth of the few whites is a spectre from Parliament where they exert control over the black political class to their manifestations of ownership in the streets.

The majority of Barbadians do not have much to show for 51 years of independence. At present the once thriving middle class have found themselves in an economic bind losing the most important asset that they have achieved in their life time; their home. A complex set of home gown circumstances have negated the growth of the last 51 years and the present Administration after 9 years of operating on a trial and error basis have refused to admit they are capable of producing solutions to the problems that the island faces.

In looking towards the future, what is needed are real revolutionaries who will effect a wave of transformation that stretches across Africa and the Caribbean. They must be persons with the relentless vigour of Robert Mugabe to rage a war for change. The kind of change that affects the old political and legislative structures; finally dismantles the old colonial mind set by which some believe that they have the right to reap the economic benefits off the land and others that change will never come. More so they must also dismantle the political appendage that enables this.

We need real revolutionaries that create not only a personal post- independence legacy but ones that are visionary to transform the lives of not only this generation, but the next and the one after that. We need revolutionaries who maintain a clear focus on what is be attained for the social and economic well- being of ordinary citizens. We need visionaries whose acts from now on creates one people; one Barbados not two. Who can make poverty and homelessness extinct. Leaders who cares more about the common good than enriching their pockets. Leaders who create the environment that within which the fundamentals of generational wealth is established.

They must ensure that elections are free and fair and serve to legitimize government as well as ensure that the systems of accountability work; that the major institutions like the courts and police forces within the country are not manipulated by successive Administrations or serve and or prosecute one sector of the population and not another.

We need revolutionary leaders who believe in the possibility of transforming their countries into world class societies not with 90% but 100% employment where the media can finally assert its rightful position as the third estate, where tertiary level education can be provided free of cost for those who wish to attend colleges and the universities and the best health care is provided not only to those who can afford it but also to those who cannot afford to pay. It is not impossible. These are things that can be achieved in the next 10 years.

We are at a critical junction in our development and cannot afford to spend the next 37 years making mistakes that become so deeply entrenched that they may never be corrected. As Bob Marley said we have to fight, fight for our rights and, I firmly believe that it was the thought of overcoming issues like these that led the writer of the national anthem of Barbados to write “and greater will our nation grow in strength and in unity.”

Tags: , ,

111 Comments on “Another Heather Cole Column – WANTED from Harare to Bridgetown: Real Revolutionaries”

1. BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 2:01 PM #

Anything that is owned by the government is owned by the all people not a few ow not just the majority …… ALL.

So under my system the land that is NOW owned by the government/ALL and any land in the future that is obtained by the government / eminent domain will always belong to the government/ALL

2. BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 2:14 PM #

@ miller

I believe that the sugarcane can be revived. not to it glory days but enough to provide for the island and molasses for rum – they are now international players in the game.

This government is not going to be in power all the time and work had actually started at Andrews so I give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I can not agree with you in comparing the Andrews litigation with that of the firing of the CB governor. A better comparison , to me, would be the Hyatt Hotel at Bay Street.

3. BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 2:23 PM #

Did I say I wanted to be in parliament?
    How the hell you want to tell me what I am thinking???
    I just told you I have no desire to be even to be even a candidate and u come back and tell me what I am thinking.
    Yet you got offended when I told you what I think you should have said.

4. Well Well @ Cut and Paste @ Your Service December 6, 2017 at 2:25 PM #

ya are a damn crook…just as you are projecting, hopefully no one on BU was dumb enough to get caught in your web of deceit.

5. BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 2:54 PM #

As I said BF/PP don’t come to reality then I continue my life as usual. Nothing gained nothing lost.
    But if I want another piece of the rock it will be done the legal way and not thief or begged for it.
    And I will encourage my Black Brothers and Sisters that if they want to own a piece to go about it the same way I did instead of waiting a government to thief from the thieves and them give it out to them.

6. Well Well @ Cut and Paste @ Your Service December 6, 2017 at 3:01 PM #

real mixed up and lost soul…lol

7. BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 3:08 PM #

You want to own a piece of the rock and do not think you have the means to obtain it …if you want help I can show you how to save towards it but you have to also be prepared to work …according to how much land you want. Stop looking to government for handouts and pretending that you are concerned about the mass obtaining land.

BARBADOS historically did not belong to any of us…..the minorities nor the majority.

A thief from a thief is still a thief.

If it was up to me not one person would own a single inch of Barbados. We ALL would own all of it through the government.

8. millertheanunnaki December 6, 2017 at 3:29 PM #

BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 2:14 PM
    “I can not agree with you in comparing the Andrews litigation with that of the firing of the CB governor. A better comparison, to me, would be the Hyatt Hotel at Bay Street.”

Yes indeed, for their comparison lies squarely within their similarity.

Both are mere imaginary projects ‘designed’ to scam the taxpayers by way of fees and other upfront ‘sideline’ payments; just like the Pierhead marina, the Sugar Point cruise ship terminal and the All Seasons restart since September 2010.

What we would want to hear from you is you view on the future ownership and potential use of the thousands of acres of the former CLICO lands especially those in the parish of St. John now overgrown with bush and river tamarind ready for the same Andrews factory to start burning to produce 25 megawatts of energy to turn Barbados into a mini Las Vegas by night.

9. Well Well @ Cut and Paste @ Your Service December 6, 2017 at 3:57 PM #

BF…you are just another twisted parasite trying to get your hands on the PEOPLES money and the PEOPLE S land to proclaim yaself lord master and head parasite..

you are bringing nothing new to the table…except for your delusions while mooching off the same taxpaying majority for a monthly salary and whatever else ya can tief..

a parasite.

10. BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 4:42 PM #

@ Miller.

As I said before – any land in ownership by the government will always be owned by the government. People would be allowed used of the land through leasing.

Some would also have to go into housing for the growing population.

11. millertheanunnaki December 6, 2017 at 5:03 PM #

@ BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 4:42 PM #
    “I think the courts will decide the future ownership of CLICO land. If it fall under the ownership of government then – Springhall, St Lucy type farming would come first.”

The future ownership of the former CLICO lands is with the legal ‘person or body’ who is putting up the money in the form of the issuing of a financial bond to satisfy the expectations of the CLICO policyholders.

The present government is demonstrating its intention to undertake such a financing arrangement.

Therefore those lands should become the property of the State. The question is:
    Will the lands be leased to interested farmers or sold to private individuals or corporations; some with the sole intent of turning them into real estate lots for sale?

12. BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 5:14 PM #

@ miller

I cannot tell you what this government or any future government will do.

“I” would prefer to see the land lease to farmers like the Springhall land lease programme.
    NO SELLING! not even to me

The land should always remain the property of the state.

13. millertheanunnaki December 6, 2017 at 5:42 PM #

@ BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 5:14 PM

I agree with you the lands should be leased out to small and medium-sized farmers especially those interested in growing marijuana and hemp.

But don’t be surprised if those lands are sold off in the near future for a song of foreign exchange; just like the Hilton Hotel and the BNTCL.

Bim is in deep economic doodoo and is behaving like a paro.
    There is already talk of putting up the GAIA on the international selling block.

14. BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 6:36 PM #

@ Miller.

I don’t know if you are being sarcastic or not about growing marijuana.

Under the law of Barbados that is still illegal so I cannot be in support with that.

BF/PP would support a dialog for two years follow then by a vote by the people (not the MP) for the legalizing of marijuana.

Yes! Unfortunately Barbados is in very serious economic trouble.
    Paros usually sell what their own just to get a fix.

Sometimes when a business is it trouble it has to sell some of its assets in order to recover the other parts of the business.

BF/PP at this time support the sale of the Hilton but would like provision to be made for the workers to become part owners/share holders.

BF/PP is calling for sacrifices and concessions by all.
    Since government cannot control the private sector wages and salaries and since it is the government expenditure that is causing the problem – I would like to see negotiations between government and the unions to agree for no more than 5% decrease in public sectory wages and salaries. To show leadership all MP/Ministers would sacrifice 5-8% of their salaries (no more than 40%) for every 1% sacrificed by the public workers.

Concessions I would give up to the unions/public workers and country would be a reduction in the NSRL and VAT.

15. BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 6:47 PM #

@ WWC.

The lost soul is the one that cannot have a disagreeing conversation without trying to degenerate the other person because their have a view that is different to your.

You seems to be educated so one day you may also grow up.

16. Hal Austin December 6, 2017 at 6:55 PM #

Well said. It is the Bajan disease. It comes from being as small, inward-looking people. The allegory of the cave again.

17. Well Well & Cut N' Paste At Your Service December 6, 2017 at 7:07 PM #

Ha, Ha…..ya still looking for allies.

BF…look…ya revealed yaself and it’s nothing pretty, nothing any sensible person would want to get involved with, you degraded yourself to the level of the diminished capacity you now feel…I had absolutely no hand in that.

I dont know why when yall do crap on BU yall like to blame me….next time yall get the urge, go find ya wives for solace and comfort…I am not the one.

18. millertheanunnaki December 6, 2017 at 7:33 PM #

@ BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 6:36 PM
    “I don’t know if you are being sarcastic or not about growing marijuana.”

Being sarcastic ??

You need to get real.
    Isn’t there a growing market ‘out there’ for marijuana-based products?

Barbados is already way behind other ‘countries not in the importation and consumption but certainly in the entrepreneurial drive to make a successful commercial activity out of cannabis.

Sugar is dying and a substitute “grass” must be found to save the ecological life of the country. If not rural Barbados would turn back into a waste land of bush and vermin.

19. BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 7:41 PM #

@WWC

You want to tell me what not to tell u.
    You want to tell me what I say when I never said it
    Now you want to tell me how I feel when I never felt it

You can try all you like but I will not succeed.

I have never received so many email in one day. Although most were warning me about you I am still surprised at the number that still have my email address even though it hasn’t been posted for over a month.

Maybe you should post your email so that some can post directly to you what their told me about you.

As I told them I am not here for that kind of stuff. It is no help to me you them or any other person.

20. BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 7:48 PM #

@ miller

I can only hear you on the marijuana issue.
    I already stated how i would go about resolving that issue – as it is still illegal in Barbados…i cannot support any using or growing of.

21. Well Well & Cut N' Paste At Your Service December 6, 2017 at 8:13 PM #

BF…you complain too much.

22. millertheanunnaki December 6, 2017 at 8:16 PM #

@ BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 7:48 PM

If we were to adopt your approach to change and adaptation in order to survive slavery might still be ‘legal’ in Barbados.

You really think Barbados has 1 far less 2 years for further talk and talk on becoming a ‘NATO’ nation?

Your country in on the brink of economic meltdown as a result of fast disappearing foreign reserves.

Don’t you think that you should at least be considering non-traditional out-of-the -box means and ways of saving forex, if not earning it?

Do you really feel the marijuana imported or the various items made from hemp or cannabis is paid for in useless Mickey mouse Bajan dollars?

23. BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 8:17 PM #

What have I complained about?

24. Well Well & Cut N' Paste At Your Service December 6, 2017 at 8:20 PM #

You really feel I care what people post or email about me…lol

I bet anything they got bigger problems than me in their homes, in their work place and everywhere else…and I would actually pay attention to them, when as I free person, with free will and free thought, I express my feelings and thoughts…as everyone is free to, unless they are still locked inside their own minds…eg..mental slavery..

Ya get my drift.

So please…keep the problems others have to yaself, the problems are theirs alone to bear, not mine.

25. BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 8:49 PM #

@ miller.

I do not share you view that marijuana is the saviour to Barbados economic woes.

According the trained economists a reduction in government expenditure would close the deficit gap and reduce the drain on forex.

Government printing of money is what is causing the reduction of forex.
    There are other ways of stopping the drain of forex until the population make the decision on marijuana.

I understand that you are saying that marijuana would be a source of revenue.

The masses is crying out for a greater roll in the decision making of the country and that is one of the issues I would prefer to put before them to make a determination.

Please note that I cannot express everything i am thinking in this blog.

Another thing I would allow the people to vote on would be the death penalty

26. Well Well & Cut N' Paste At Your Service December 6, 2017 at 8:56 PM #

Miller…educate your friend here, he is hopelessly lost on every topic he is presenting.

I am saying very little so I dont get blamed for degenerating anyone.

27. BARBADOS FIRST/PATRIOTIC PARTY (BF/PP) December 6, 2017 at 9:06 PM #

@ miller.

BF/PP is not taking part in the next election!

With your marijuana issues I think it would be best that you throw you support behind UPP as they are the only party, so far, that said they would legalize it.

28. ra1 December 8, 2017 at 8:57 PM #

https://youtu.be/OiQTSWdDxQA .

Angela Cole wants real revolutionaries , from Africa to Bridgetown.
    This video is about the life of a true revolutionary.

29. ra1 December 8, 2017 at 9:36 PM #

https://youtu.be/9BmtTtHhj5w .

Talk of mercenaries.

30. ra1 December 8, 2017 at 10:45 PM #

A true revolutionary puts the interest of his people before that western imperialist.

31. Well Well & Cut N' Paste At Your Service December 9, 2017 at 5:45 AM #

All ya will get in the Caribbean are house negros pimping around to enrich themselves and selling out the prople, no mercenaries worth talking about or present..

Thatcher’s thiefing son should still be in prison.

32. Well Well & Cut N' Paste At Your Service December 9, 2017 at 5:50 AM #

Ya sure as hell won’t get any revolutionaries in the Caribbean, definitely not among the political classes of asses, house negros are only interested in owning big mansions and driving mercedes on cart roads, their interests do no extend beyond material things.

33. ra1 December 9, 2017 at 8:17 AM #

The Black / African youth must rise up & expel these imperalist criminals from Europe & their puppets ( house negroes).

34. ra1 December 9, 2017 at 3:02 PM #

France uses its military & death squads to murder & terrorize civilians in Africa.Boycott France ,it companies, its products.
    The French a blatant criminal.

35. Well Well & Cut N' Paste At Your Service December 9, 2017 at 5:06 PM #

The french were always criminals and thieves, intent only on living freely off Africa and African people….France is a welfare country…living off Africa…

African leaders have finally recognized this after centuries, they have to find a way to rip those parasitic french welfare rats off Africa and her people.

36. ra1 December 9, 2017 at 6:19 PM #

French troops in Africa force children to commit acts beastiality.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

%d bloggers like this: